Home Port Cardiff (Wales) but various UK and overseas
Full Time Seasonal - £23,000 plus pension plus accommodation/food while sailing. 3 weeks on / 1 week off rotation
Challenge Wales is an award-winning Sail Training charity, based in South Wales and currently operates two vessels (72-ft Challenge Wales and 60-ft Adventure Wales) carrying out youth development activities and adult fundraising voyages. Sailing activity takes places around the Welsh coast, Ireland, South coast and further afield where sail training events and races are taking place. In the past this has included Europe and the Baltic countries.
We are a fun, young, growing organisation bringing adventure experiences to socially diverse young people and fundraising through adult only voyages.
Purpose of the Role:
To Skipper on both Challenge Wales (Challenge 72) and Adventure Wales (Ocean 60) although the majority of the role will be based on Adventure Wales. The post-holder will deliver instruction and motivate young people. The majority of the role is working with young people with a small proportion being adult fundraising trips/corporate experiences. The Skipper is responsible for the overall day to day running of the vessel, its safety, SMS compliance, operational efficiency and delivering a fun and exciting voyage.
Tasks & Responsibilities
You will be involved with:
• Leading Mate, volunteer crew and voyage crew on each voyage
• Working with young people from diverse backgrounds to achieve RYA qualifications, DofE Gold Residential award, Agored Cymru accreditation and soft skills development.
• Manage all aspects of the assigned vessels operation
• Conduct personal assessments
• Able to be professional and commercially & personally sensitive at all times (both on and off the vessel) acting with tact and diplomacy
• Manage safety, discipline, morale and welfare of volunteers, trainees and clients
• Victualling the vessel within budget and following Challenge Wales’ financial and purchasing procedures
• For dealing with unexpected and planned issues which might be encountered on a sailing vessel at sea, e.g. repairs, maintenance, electrical (AC & DC), plumbing systems/bilge systems, generator, diesel engine, sail repairs
• Championing the brand and raising the profile of the charity
The above list is not intended to be comprehensive but the post-holder will be expected to be flexible in carrying out tasks relate to their role.
The successful candidate will:
• Have a valid ENG1 medical fitness certificate
• Have a Yachtmaster Offshore qualification
• Have a Commercial Endorsement
• MCA Approved Elementary First Aid Course
• VHF Radio Licence
• Radar Operation Certificate
• Diesel Engine Course
• Medical Care Aboard Ship
• Have experience of sail training industry, enjoy working outdoors and passion to develop people
• Have had at least 2 years in a Skipper role
• Have experience of sailing vessels of similar size to Challenge Wales vessels
• Good leadership skills, a positive role-model and ability to lead in a positive way
• Be energetic enthusiastic, hands-on and willing to work hard
• Ability to remain calm in stressful situations
• Possess very good communication skills both verbal and written, be compassionate and able to understand the needs of others
• Have a strong awareness of marine environmental issues
• Competent in Excel and Word documents
• Experience of working with disadvantaged young people
• Be a team player
• Food Hygiene Level 2 (not an online course)
• Physically fit
Desirable but advantageous
• Experience of larger outdoor/adventure organisations
• Experience in a similar role
• Skipper experience on Ocean 60’s and Challenge 72’s
• Instructor experience
• Powerboat Level 2
• A Welsh speaker (written/oral)
All employees are expected to take responsibility and comply with Challenge Wales’ policies and procedures. Challenge Wales operates a strict non-smoking and non-drinking policy.
Contact: Captain Andy Hall / Vicky Williams
Closing date 29 February 2020 (applications may close earlier if there are sufficient candidates or will remain open beyond this date until the right candidates are found).